Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Candy Cane Neighbor Gifts






During the Holidays, I like to have a little gift on hand for those neighbors that stop by with goodies or to say hello...nothing big, just a little "something." These would also make GREAT visiting teaching gifts for December. I found some 100% cotton ticking print in red at my local Jo-Anns. It was pretty bright, so I threw in into a bowl with 6 Lipton tea bags and hot tap water for a couple hours to tea-dye it. Then I cut the fabric into big candy cane shapes, clipped and turned them, stuffed them, slip stiched them closed and attached a tag with twine with "The Christian Symbolism of the Candy Cane" on it. I'll keep them in a basket by the front door on my favorite red chair. If sewing isn't your thing, the tags would also be just as cute on regular, edible candy canes. Happy Holidays!

"The candy cane is a wonderful Christian symbol. The pure white symbolizes the purity of the Virgin Birth and the sinlessness of Christ. The hardness symbolizes Christ, the solid rock, the sure foundation of the believer. The shape is like a shepherd’s staff because He is the shepherd of man. The three red stripes symbolize the whipping Christ took as payment for our sins and the broad red stripe symbolizes His shed blood for our sins.

Merry Christmas!"


For more FABULOUS Holiday ideas, check out Scribbit's Winter Bazaar!

8 comments:

Mrs. O said...

What a lovely, crafty idea.

Rosanne said...

Once again, I'm blown away by your craftiness! Nice job & great idea!

Leenz said...

I had no idea that the candy cane symbolized so much. I will definitely view them differently from now on. Thanks!

Montserrat said...

What a great simple gift to have on hand. Thanks for sharing!

Amy W said...

What a great idea...

Pieces said...

Neat idea. I especially like the touch of tea-dying them.

Scribbit said...

Very clever and cute Amber, I'm impressed. That's just so perfect for the last minute gifts that catch you unprepared.

Garrett Gang said...

Love it. Thanks for the idea!