Monday, January 7, 2008

Apple Pulled Pork BBQ

I found this recipe in my Gooseberry Patch Slow Cooker recipe book and we made it for Tony to take to his office Holiday potluck. I guess it was quite literally inhaled, so I made it again this weekend for our family. It was the perfect Fast Sunday meal!

Apple Pulled Pork BBQ
5 lb. pork roast
5 cloves garlic
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cup spicy BBQ sauce of your choice
1 1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp. cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
10-12 rolls, split

Place roast in crock pot (you can cut it in several pieces if necessary). Top with whole garlic cloves and chopped onion; add water to cover roast. Cover and cook for 10-14 hours on low, or overnight. When pork is tender and easily shredded, drain and discard cooking liquid. Break apart roast in crock pot and shred, removing any bones; mash and blend in garlic. Combine BBQ sauce and applesauce; toss with pulled pork to coat evenly. Sprinkle with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until warmed through. Serve spooned onto rolls. Makes 10-12 sandwiches.


I love to cook and bake...except with yeast. I SUCK at yeast. I just could never seem to figure it out! But my friend Brenda shared a recipe with me where you don't have to proof the yeast...amazing! Even I have yet to screw it up! Plus, the pulled pork tastes so much better on homemade rolls. Thank you, Brenda, for making me look good!

Butter Crescents

3 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp. yeast
1/3 cup powdered milk
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar

Mix above ingredients together. Add two cups HOT tap water (as hot as you can get it from the tap). Once it is mixed well (just with a spoon), add two eggs and 1/3 cup oil and continue to stir with a spoon. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes. Add another 3 1/2 cups flour. Mix in and knead until you have a nice dough consistency. Let rise. Divide in half. Roll into 2 large circles and brush with melted butter. Cut into 16 pieces-like a pizza. Roll from outside in to make a crescent shape. Place on greased cookie sheet. Let rise. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Brush melted butter on top after baking.

4 comments:

April said...

I'm excited to try the rolls out. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for sharing.

Rosanne said...

This sounds and looks delicious! I'll have to try it - thanks!

Leenz said...

What's up with yeast, why is it so tricky? I have yet to master it, sounds like this recipe will put me one step closer...thanks.

Cherie said...

My friend saw your blog, and made these rolls tonight for our enrichment activity. They are so good!! I think I ate 4 of them. I stopped counting after the first two. :)
Thanks for a yummy reciepe!