Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Crazy Crayons

This is another fun Martha Stewart Kids magazine idea from 2002 that I had filed away, and yesterday, Anna and I did a trial run and had a blast making these crazy crayons!

Tools and Materials
Kitchen knife
Old crayons
Mini-cake tins
(we used a mini-muffin tin and some antique chocolate molds)


Crayon How-To
1. Parents can use the knife to chop crayons into pea-size pieces, taking care to keep colors separate so kids can combine them as they like.

2. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees while children fill the tin with crayon pieces, arranging them in interesting designs
.(our stove only goes down to 170 degrees and that worked fine...just watch them closely!)

3. Bake just until the waxes have melted, 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Remove the shapes after they have cooled. If they stick, place tray in the freezer for an hour, and the crayons will pop out.


This is how ours turned out. Next time, I think we'll make them a bit thicker. We had so much fun with these, I'd get a couple boxes of crayons at the $1 store even after we've used up all our old and broken crayons and do more!


For more great winter ideas, crafts and recipes, check out Scribbit's Winter Bazaar!

8 comments:

Kristi said...

How fun, Amber! They turned out so pretty!

I used to save old broken crayons because I wanted to try this project, but just like the jeans, I ended up tossing them instead.

However, I am sure we have accumulated a million crayons since then.

Stephanie Appleton said...

How fun! Those heart shaped ones would be great for Valentines.

The Bennett Bunch said...

Oh what a fun idea!! I think me and the kiddos will have to give this a try!!

jennwa said...

My kids love those crayons. They are very fun.

Montserrat said...

Goodness gracious that looks like so much FUN!

Rosanne said...

What a fun idea - we'll have to try that! :)

Anonymous said...

This will be perfect for Ben and Madi to do. We are having snow here in Atlanta and this city freaks out at of the sight of it. So since our yard is all white I am pretty sure tomorrow will be a snow day! So tomorrow we will play in the snow and make crazy crayons.

love,
Jeni

Totallyscrappy said...

A great idea for all those bits of crayons!