Monday, January 21, 2008

Dr. King

My family is all together today. Tony has the day off because of the Federal holiday and Sam is home because today is a teacher inservice. So I've just spent a few minutes coming up with some fun things to do for FHE this evening with the theme being Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Wanted to share some of the resources I found.

This site has a really cute Montgomery Public Transportation bus for the kids to color. I am using this free pattern...I like the kids' faces for my children to color, cut out and glue in the bus windows while we teach about Dr. King's life and legacy.

I'm also going to use this poem by Jamie McKenzie tonight.

And a couple of pictures for your wee ones to color can be found here and here.

Here is a text with exerpts from MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech with key words missing. I thought for older children, it would be fun to listen to the speech online and have them try and fill in the words. Or you can even play online if you're gutsy.

What a legacy to teach our children. Be sure to share any other great resources you find out there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super idea! We have lived here in Atlanta for almost 18 months now and still have not been to his museum...maybe when Steve gets back...it's on our list of of fun things to do here. My kids enjoy learning about these things too so thanks for the extra push to teach them.

love,
jeni