Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Swimming in Paperwork!

I found this fabulous idea in the February issue of Family Fun magazine (February, 2008 page 39), and it has already made our cold, dark day a little brighter!

I trudged my way out into the backyard last night in the sub-zero weather to get my kids' empty plastic turtle sandbox (but an empty plastic swimming pool would work even better). Then I gave it a quick wipe-down and let the ice thaw out of the bottom enough to pick it up in a 36 inch ice circle and throw it into the back yard. Seriously. Then I cleaned the bottom and let it dry. While it was drying, I shredded all the papers in our shred basket and VOILA! The kids found it first thing this morning and have had so much fun already.

(**The lady who submitted the idea in Family Fun mentioned that she chooses to change colors of paper to coordinate with seasons or holidays. For example, green for Easter with plastic eggs hidden in the "grass", black and orange for Halloween, etc.)

For more excellent ideas, check out Scribbit's Winter Bazaar!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MY!!! I bet those kids are having the time of their life in that. Fun fun fun.

Love,
Jeni

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

What a funny idea! I'm gonna link to you!

jennwa said...

My kids would love that too. Lots of Fun!!!

Melissa said...

That is such a cute idea! thanks!

Kristi said...

Totally fun idea!! I am impressed you braved last night's freezing weather to get the sandbox- you go girl!!

Anonymous said...

That looks like SO much fun. Do you think there is room for me in
the pool, too?? Cute, cute children. I miss them.

the grandma

condiefamily said...

This brought back a lot of memories. I used to sit my little ones (2-4)yr olds in the plastic pool with scrap paper and safety scissors and let them cut away. You know how they are when the first learn how to operate scissors-they cut confetti sized pieces and it gets EVERYWHERE! This lets them have the opportunity to practice cutting and it contains the mess!

Scribbit said...

Maybe it's just the angle but something about that photo of Anna reminds me of a picture of you when you were about that age, your head tipped to the side and everything--so cute you were!

zakkalife said...

thanks for sharing this idea, we have a paper shredder and I know my kids would love this