Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lent

Okay, let me begin by saying that I have not converted to Catholicism. But about 6 years ago, my crazy sister April announced that she was "Lenting", meaning giving up something during Lent. For all you other non-Catholics, Lent is observed during the 40 days preceding Easter and starts on Ash Wednesday, the day following Mardi Gras. It is a way to commemorate the 40 days that Christ spent in the desert fasting during which time he was tempted by Satan, as well as other 40 day periods of time observed in the Bible. I thought it was a grand idea...something that could put thoughts of the Savior more prominently in my mind everyday, as well as a way to master myself. So I've Lented just about every year since. Two years ago I gave up soda for Lent with Tony's boss!!

Now, all my Catholic friends laughed at me when I told them that I was "Lenting." Apparently, "Lent" is not a verb. We should give up something FOR Lent. But for convenience, April and I still just call it "Lenting." This year, I'm Lenting chocolate. Should make Easter all the more enjoyable. And a big "thank you" to my Catholic friends for sharing a piece of themselves with me!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chocolate?!?! Are you mad girl?! : ) No worries, I'll eat an extra share just for you (I'm a giver you know) hehee
Happy "Lenting"! Too cute!

Rosanne said...

Yeah! I'm glad I'm not the only Mormon who 'lents!' But it sounds like you are more faithful at lenting than I am. Being married to a Catholic you would think I would be on the ball, but I even have to remind him about it some years. :) Hmmmm, can I start a day late? I haven't thought of anything to give up yet. And chocolate - you go girl!

Anonymous said...

That is way too brave of you Amber! I could never in a million years give up something as valuable as CHOCOLATE!!! Its my life staple. But as disciplined as you are- I know you can do it. Good luck!

jennwa said...

Wow, that is a big sacrifice. Good luck!!! I do not think I could do it.

Camie said...

So do you just have to lent for 40 days...or forever?

Amber M. said...

Only 40 days...I'm Lenting, not crazy! I almost slipped tonight and had a mug of cocoa all ready...until I remembered.:-)

Bonnie B. said...

You must have some serious will power. First soda, and now chocolate? I wouldn't make it past the 1st day! Good luck to you!

BTW- Tag. You're it. I'm new to the blogging thing, and don't know too many who do blog, so I'm tagging some of my faves. No pressure!

Kristi said...

Didn't you lent buying any new scrapbook paper a few years ago? Hmmm...what could I give up? I've already given up sugar, but I'd have to draw the line at chocolate. Sugar Free chocolate pudding is a lifesaver. Maybe I should give up buying anymore pillowcases. I will definitely have to ponder this more. Thanks for the challenge!

Garrett Gang said...

Can I "Lent" TV?! Or should it be food?

What about sex?! J.K.!!!! I WOULD be crazy if I did that!

Amber M. said...

Kristi,

I TOTALLY forgot Lenting scrapbook paper one year. But I did. Sad, but true.