Thursday, May 29, 2008

Pinwheel Pins

As promised, I'm posting about one of the projects my mom helped me with during her visit this past week. I'm in a card exchange and the theme for this month is 4th of July or Summer and the challenge is to use something metal. I have made cute little pinwheels like these out of paper before, but I thought I'd give it a whirl in fabric and just so I'm challenge compliant, I made them into pins. Here's how you do it.

First, use a piece of fusible webbing to iron together the wrong side of a red striped fabric to the wrong side of a blue starred fabric.

Next, cut a piece of the fabric into a square...these are two inch squares. Then, cut from each point of the square about three-quarters of the way diagonally to the middle of the square.

Then take a needle and thread up through the back of the center of the square and take the left corner of one side of the square onto the needle and pull the corner into the middle. Repeat with all four corners and then push the needle back through the center of the pinwheel so the needle is on the back side of the pinwheel.

Sew a button onto the front center of the pinwheel and tie off thread to the back.

Hot glue a pin back on the back of the pinwheel and you're done! I think these would be darling visiting teaching gifts.

I added mine to a card (for my card exchange) and added this quote by Thomas Jefferson. "God who gave us life gave us liberty. Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed a conviction that the liberties are the gift of God?"

Want one but don't want to make one? Leave a comment between now and Saturday night and I'll send one to a lucky winner!

15 comments:

jennwa said...

I love that. It looks great.

Rosanne said...

Oh so darling...yes...count me in. :)

Montay said...

I would love one they are so dang cute and I never know what to make my ladies. Thanks for the cute idea.

Cherie said...

So Cute!!! I would love to wear one!

Anonymous said...

You get the gold medal for that one. They are so "America".

Love,
Jeni

Anonymous said...

You make it look so easy! Too bad that I lack the talent and patients it takes to make one, so I hope I win!!!
Chery

Bonnie B. said...

These are absolutely adorable!! I'm totally making these.

Anonymous said...

I never find the time to make much of anything crafty these days, and I'm always looking for something red, white, and blue to wear on Memorial Day, July 4th, Veteran's Day, etc. Just missed Memorial Day . . . maybe I'll win and have it in time for July 4th!
Courtney

Kathleen said...

too cute! i'll have to keep your blog in my favorites for the years to come when i'll be able to start getting "crafty"!

Melis said...

I was so excited when you commented on my blog! Thanks! These pins/cards are so cool! I forget how I found your blog but keep coming back for all the VT ideas!

Montserrat said...

You are so clever. Seriously! I love the whole idea. Even down to using it on your cards. I just may do that for our RS card exchange.

Sonja said...

I'm always a little intimidated by crafty, artistic people. BUT I am SO glad when they share their ideas for craft-challenged people like me! :)

This is a super cute idea and I really like the TJ quote.

Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I think your blog is terrific! (good luck with the rabbits!)

Anonymous said...

How about a pinwheel pin for you
mom?? They are so cute.

the mom

The Brough Family said...

Cute idea... way better than the ugly paper poppies I had to sell for Girls state back in the day, I probably could have actually earned some money for the vets with something cute like that!

Ice Cream said...

Perfect for July 4th.