Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hand-Me-Down Love

I wish I was noble enough to say that the reason I saved my very favorite clothes from Sam's childhood was to serve as hand-me downs to my future little boy babies. In all honesty, it wasn't. As Sam grew out of his little clothes that were so lovingly given as gifts or bought and horded the years we tried unsuccessfully to have a baby, I couldn't let them all go. I'd sort, and resort, and still end up with a little pile of clothes that held wonderful memories of Sam's babyhood. So when Joshua was born, I looked forward to having him wear some of the clothes that held so much love despite their tiny size.

Maybe it was the delirium of those first months of life, but seeing Joshua in some of Sam's little gowns and sleepers as a newborn was, well, anti-climatic. Don't get me wrong. I loved it. But even now, almost 18 month later, I haven't had a visceral reaction to a Sam hand-me-down like I would have expected.

Until today.

I honestly don't remember if this little Gap oxford and sweater vest were a gift from my mom or a set I purchased in the months leading up to Sam's birth, but Joshua wore them to church today for the first time. I literally teared up as I buttoned the little shirt and pulled the sweater over his blond little head. It reminded me of some of the most precious memories of Sam at one of my very favorite of baby ages...18 months. Those little running feet, the first baby words, the point and grunt, and the spontaneous kisses.

Almost exactly 6 years later, Joshua is doing those exact same things. And looking just as handsome.

21 comments:

Amy said...

That is so sweet! I am glad to know I am not the only one that cannot part with my baby clothes. I tried going through some things recently, had a good cry and put them all right back into their totes. Such precious memories!

Garrett Gang said...

So sweet!

Anonymous said...

I remember the little sweater and shirt so well. Sam looked so cute, and so does Josh, altho he wears them with his own style and
attitude!!

the grandma

Montay said...

I totaly get that I am DONE having kids and well Ijust put away a bow of the baby clothes I just can not get rid of them!

Cara said...

too cute!

April said...

I LOVE that outfit! They are two DANG handsome little dudes!

MooreInterest said...

It's amazing how kids outfits are still cute 6 years later! Both so cute! Why doesn't that ever happen to me? (the cute outfit 6 years later)PS--thanks for sticking your tongue out my neighbors for me. :)

Bonnie B. said...

That is too cute! You have cute kiddos.

Kristi said...

Awwww, it seems like just yesterday when Sam was wearing that outift. I love Josh's smile in his picture!

You have any plans for later this week?

Albanie said...

So cute! They both look soo handsome!

Wendy P said...

I tear up putting the clothes away. So imagine what a sap I am when Asher wear one of my favorites from Jackson, then out grows it the next day. Those picture are too cute. Your boys are adorable!

BeckyRuss said...

If your boys are not the cutest little boys I've ever seen!! Oh my gosh--Joshua's smile in his pic just melts my heart. I'm so grateful you're so generous in letting me borrow your cute baby boy clothes for Tucks. He looks so cute everyday thanks to you!

Jenn said...

Two very handsome boys! Love the outfit.

Our Complete Family said...

Darling! So glad you get to have these fun flashbacks to Sam being this age, too! Double bonus! Happy Monday! Les

The Brough Family said...

That is adorable... two darling boys!!

Camie said...

What a memorable experience. Both boys are so handsome and so lucky to have you as a mommy. Just as a bonus the outfit is darling.

Nicole said...

That is so sweet. I can't belive how a like your boys look, they are so stinkin cute. Your comment about switching the Diet Coke for a Dr. Pepper cracked me up. The Diet Coke was my mom's and I was really wishing I had a Dr. Pepper.

Jeni said...

You have very cute/handsome sons. I too have kept my favorites. When I have sold stuff at resale stores and I watch them go through the clothes and toss them here and there, it hurts my feelings...I remember how cute and how much fun we had when they wore different outfit.

It would be cute to put them in a side by side frame wearing the same outfit! Side by side...did the Osmond brothers sing a song with that title?

Leenz said...

I loved that outfit too! I can't beleive how fast Josh is growing up!

Heather said...

What darling boys you have!

just jamie said...

Oh my gosh. I LOVE this!