Sunday, September 27, 2009

Warm Sweet Potato Salad

I'll admit it. I am intimidated by a raw sweet potato. So much so that when I do cook with them, I always buy the already-cooked-and-mushy-in-a-can-kind for my Thanksgiving dishes. But no more. I found this recipe in Family Circle and was, well, intrigued. I gave it a go tonight (raw sweet potatoes and all) and it scored big with Tony and I. I didn't even try it with the kids (the taste is a little adult) but it would be a fabulous dinner with friends dish. Enjoy!

Warm Sweet Potato Salad

3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 slice ham, 1/2 inch thick (about 8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Heat oven to 400°. Stir together vinegar, maple syrup and mustard. Slowly whisk in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; set aside. Place sweet potatoes, onion and ham in a large bowl. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; stir until coated. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Roast at 400° for 45 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven and place in a large bowl. Stir in spinach and walnuts. Drizzle with maple vinaigrette and serve immediately.

7 comments:

Kristi said...

Looks yummy! Now that you're not afraid of raw sweet potatoes, you should try oven fries with sweet potatoes- your kids will even like them. Cut them up into cubes or wedges, drizzle with evoo & kosher salt. Bake 25-30 minutes at 500 degrees. They are a favorite around here.

ME said...

its looks delicious...too bad I don't like sweet potatos.

Leenz said...

Sweet potatoes are so good for you! I can't wait to try this because I make them all the time for Cora.

Kathleen said...

i love sweet potatoes! it looks just sooo delicious. if i ever cook a meal for just my mom, grandma and i, i'll be sure to include this! (cubby and the kiddos wouldn't go near it :-( ).

Jeni said...

I know these are healthy but I like to bake them then smother them with butter and brown sugar. Now I don't know if I am old enough for this recipe but I am married to someone who is and I think he would really enjoy this. I will come back to this in only...umm... less than two months!

Jenni said...

Oh yum! I love anything with sweet potato in it! :) And your sweet potato salad looks delish! :)

I should give you my sweet potato pie recipe... :)

Are you having a good week? I hope you and your family are doing well! :)

Loralee and the gang... said...

I love sweet potatoes, and I will try any recipe that uses them. Thanks!
:~D