Sunday, September 27, 2009

Warm Sweet Potato Salad

I'll admit it. I am intimidated by a raw sweet potato. So much so that when I do cook with them, I always buy the already-cooked-and-mushy-in-a-can-kind for my Thanksgiving dishes. But no more. I found this recipe in Family Circle and was, well, intrigued. I gave it a go tonight (raw sweet potatoes and all) and it scored big with Tony and I. I didn't even try it with the kids (the taste is a little adult) but it would be a fabulous dinner with friends dish. Enjoy!

Warm Sweet Potato Salad

3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 slice ham, 1/2 inch thick (about 8 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

Heat oven to 400°. Stir together vinegar, maple syrup and mustard. Slowly whisk in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; set aside. Place sweet potatoes, onion and ham in a large bowl. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; stir until coated. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Roast at 400° for 45 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven and place in a large bowl. Stir in spinach and walnuts. Drizzle with maple vinaigrette and serve immediately.


Kristi said...

Looks yummy! Now that you're not afraid of raw sweet potatoes, you should try oven fries with sweet potatoes- your kids will even like them. Cut them up into cubes or wedges, drizzle with evoo & kosher salt. Bake 25-30 minutes at 500 degrees. They are a favorite around here.

ME said...

its looks delicious...too bad I don't like sweet potatos.

Leenz said...

Sweet potatoes are so good for you! I can't wait to try this because I make them all the time for Cora.

kathleener said...

i love sweet potatoes! it looks just sooo delicious. if i ever cook a meal for just my mom, grandma and i, i'll be sure to include this! (cubby and the kiddos wouldn't go near it :-( ).

Jeni said...

I know these are healthy but I like to bake them then smother them with butter and brown sugar. Now I don't know if I am old enough for this recipe but I am married to someone who is and I think he would really enjoy this. I will come back to this in only...umm... less than two months!

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

Oh yum! I love anything with sweet potato in it! :) And your sweet potato salad looks delish! :)

I should give you my sweet potato pie recipe... :)

Are you having a good week? I hope you and your family are doing well! :)

Loralee and the gang... said...

I love sweet potatoes, and I will try any recipe that uses them. Thanks!