Monday, February 8, 2010

Josh's Nursery Drama

Josh hates the church nursery. Let me clarify...he hates getting left in the church nursery. So every Sunday we have the same drama that begins the minute the "amen" is said on the closing prayer in Sacrament Meeting.

Yesterday's drama started no differently. On the way to the nursery room, Josh is sobbing, "No, mommy, no!" When I walk in the door with him and calmly and rationally explain that mommy will be back very soon, he assumes the "monkey." Meaning he wraps both arms around my neck and both legs around my waist and squeezes as tightly as he can screeching, "No, mommy, stay HERE!" over and over again.

That's all fine and good. I can resist that level of cuteness, rip him from my body, set me down, and make a mad rush for the door.

But he took it to a whole new level yesterday. As I'm trying to calm him down, he starts saying over and over, "Mommy, I love you, mommy, I love you, mommy, I love you, mommy."

I still managed to extract myself from his baby clutches and make a run for it.

But I did it with a lump in my throat.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I wondered why you looked so shaken yesterday- That boy is just about the cutest thing, though. There's just something about cute little Joshes that I love!

Jeni said...

You did better than I would have...I would have been in tears and not be able to function.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

As a nursery teacher - good job leaving him. He'll get it, and if he doesn't, they'll bring him back!

Cara said...

Oh heartbreak! Hope it gets better!

Eloise said...

Bless his heart! I know this is a tough time, but enjoy it if you can. My once clingy son is now a cool teenager who will hardly even be seen with me these days! :(

The Brough Family said...

That stinks, I totally would have caved. Thankfully Becca is doing a little better. I'm sure it's even harder on you and him with Tony being gone. Hope you're hanging in there!

Loralee and the gang... said...

Those litle dudes sure know how to get to you, don't they?

Rosanne said...

My Samantha was the same way. You're stronger than me. I would usually stay in there during the first block and she was fine. But I love RS way too much and didn't like to miss it, so Samantha would always look at me when she knew it was time and say, "Are we ready to go to your class now?" She was my little RS buddy. Leaving her in nursery would only result in bloody-murder screams from her and I just couldn't do it. Luckily this year, she's doing a little better in Primary (although the other day I snuck in there only to find her sitting on Hayley's lap). ;) Good luck. And sorry about the lump in your throat. Those kids know just how to pull on our heart strings, don't they?

Anonymous said...

I guess it depends on the kid, I stayed with all my kids when they needed it, and then when they felt confident and didn't cry, I left. I'm a softie, although in this situation it has never back fired on me. Now my kids are extremely independent, and confident. I'm not sure you can go wrong on this, I have seen parents leave their kids screaming at the top of their lungs, and then after a few weeks they are fine, and than there is me who always stayed until they were comfortable, which with one of mine was a while. I follow my gut, so if your gut says he is fine, try to trust it, if not stay. In the end we all know what is best for our kids.

Christina said...

awe! that's adorable! isn't it good to be loved!