Sunday, September 12, 2010

Military Fringe Benefits

We re-instituted the Sunday evening stroll tonight and it was perfect. Beautiful. Sunny. Not too warm. We also used our beautiful Sunday jaunt to do some serious fruit recon. The house that we harvested pears from last year was (surprise, surprise) empty again so I snuck into the backyard and the smell of ripe pears tickled my nose. So we ran home, grabbed some buckets and picked about 4 buckets full of ripe pears. And there are still a bunch still ripening.

And across the park by our house is a big 'ole apple tree. Obviously, these trees aren't treated so their fruit is a bit smaller, but Tony and I picked two buckets of apples tonight, came home and started up the dehydrator so there will be fresh apple chips for snacks tomorrow.


Nice. Thanks Uncle Sam!

9 comments:

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Dried pears and apples were some of my favorite snacks growing up! I'm so jealous.

Anonymous said...

Fruit recon. Ha ha ha. I'll bet
it is organic, too. YUM.

the mom

Jeni said...

Yeah...NICE!

Last night I made something with apples just because Sept. makes me think apple....and I was telling Ben and Madi that we should get a dehydrater for those yummy healthy snacks. Enjoy yours!!!

MooreInterest said...

Mmmmmm! How lucky you are!!!

Kathleen said...

hmmmm....those look delicious!

Army Wife Quilter said...

i am so jealous. I wish I was there to get some pears. Are the apple trees across the street from my old place any good. Have fun canning

Loralee and the gang... said...

My dehydrator has been doing overtime with banana chips. Love them. I need to find a bushel or two of apple myself to dry. I've become a little obsessed. Have you ever tried to dry pears? Make your own raisins?

Christina said...

i love homemade apple slices! and fruit leather! for some reason I think everything dried tastes better when it's done at home, because in the stores they put in way too much sugar. also when you do fruit leather one person can claim the whole tray for their self. enjoy the yummy snacks!

Jenni said...

Those are beautiful pictures, Amber! That is a lot of fruit you were able to pick! And apple chips~ YUM! I have been meaning to make an apple pie all week! I need to get to that! :)

Thank you for stopping by and entering the giveaway at Nest to Keep! I am so glad you did! :)