Friday, December 24, 2010

Celebrating Christmas + Moving = @#$%^&*

The privatized company that rents and maintains all the homes on our base has started renovations on certain neighborhoods all over the base. When we signed our lease, they let us know that they would be starting the renovations on our side of our street sometime in the Spring. Well, we knew that we would possibly be moving in early summer and they assured us that they would never make us move for just a few months...we'd work something out. If we didn't PCS, we would move into a brand spankin' new house on the other side of the base. As people started moving out on our side of the street last month, we started to get a little nervous. But TWICE the company assured us that they would work something out with us to avoid a move.

Until 3 weeks ago. They informed us they had changed their minds and we had to move. By January 5th. Into a house...I kid you not...across the street and down a house. This is our new house from our current front porch. It still has 4 bedrooms, but is a completely different floor plan. In order to avoid complete packing and unpacking by a moving company the week after Christmas (only to be completely repacked and moved by another moving company in about 4 months), we decided to move ourselves and make a little money. But in order for them to know how much to pay us, we have to weigh each truckload of belongings at a scale out by the airport. Only to come all the way back to base and move into a house I can spit and hit from here.

It has put a serious damper on my Christmas spirit. After we open presents, have ham dinner and play, Christmas goes back into it's bins tomorrow night once the kids are asleep. Add to that, it's the first Christmas without my dad and his 60th birthday would have been on the 28th. Uck.

I'm going to try and put on my happy Santa hat (and take off my grinch hat) find the joy and miracle of the Christmas season, soak up the good, and appreciate my wonderful family and friends. We do have such wonderful family and friends. And being around these three yahoos? It's pretty hard not to be merry and bright.

Merry Christmas from our family to yours! May the blessings of the Season be showered on you and the ones you love.

7 comments:

Tiggeriffic said...

Wished I lived close to you.. I would come and help you.. Goodness to be what a runaround..and in the middle of winter..
Have a great Christmas~! ta ta for now from Iowa....

Ange said...

Oi! The joys of military living. One of the benefits though is learning that WE are not in control of our lives. Sometimes having the military tell us what to do reminds me that I should be doing what God wants me to do instead of what I want. Not quite the same, but it's kind of the same lesson.
Certainly doesn't make it any less stressful. Maybe it will help you do another "weeding" out before the Big move.
Even your simple photo with snow lifted my Holiday Spirit. Merry Christmas.

MooreInterest said...

Shoot! I was thinking about you tonight and all the STRESS of that for you guys!! At least you had a 'white' Christmas..... Here's to a better year!

Army Wife Quilter said...

you are moving to the house on the corner. wow that is really not cool. but kind of funny. I am sorry. well at least you get a nice view of the park and a pear tree in the neighbors yard. lol I am sorry I now it is not fair but. look at it this way. we made a but load of money when we moved from chenney to the base. like $6000. that is because we are way over weight. they don't care at all if you are over weight. they pay anyway. not like when they move you and than charge you a but load of money. Good luck.

Jeni said...

Oh Amber! That stinks! I am sure you were floored when you got that news. I bet maybe that house is a little bigger, nicer floors, better kitchen...

I had on an XXL grinch hat all last spring and summer. We got turned down for command sponsership to come here to Korea...but we still wanted to come. But we had to pack up our whole house and store it ourselves. Packing boxes, loading them in the car and taking them to our storage unit was something the kids LOVED helping out with. Steve or I couldn't run to the storage alone because they would beg to go and help. So this year has been crazy for us but through it all we are a happy family and all together.
When we are old maybe we can make it rich by writing a funny story about our days of being a military wives. Hey doesn't that mean you don't have to clean the one you move out of? I wish I could help. I will say a small prayer it can go as smooth as something like that can.

Shannon C said...

I don't believe we have met, but I found your blog visiting JoAnn's blog. Our hubbies worked together for a short time at Offutt. Anywho, this happened to several folks here on our base. After several of my friends complained and asked me to see if Brad knew anything. Brad was able to find out TMO will take the weight from your paperwork for when you first moved there. That saves you from loading it all up just to move across the street. I hope this helps and applies to your base, too. I love your blog!

Rosanne said...

CRAZINESS! How did you manage all that AND get your bike training and challenge in? You rock! Here's to calmness coming your way - you deserve it! Happy 2011!