Thursday, December 30, 2010

Mass Casualties

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! Our Christmas day was awesome. AWESOME. The next few days?? Not so much. But we are about 98% moved over and I have a week to give our old house (across the street) a cursory cleaning and be done with it.

But back to the post. Tony talked me into getting the kids fish for Christmas. And as a Type A personality, I find every chance to worry about everything. For example, killing my kids' fish. Plus I get attached. Anyway, the fish were staying at our old house until it gets a little warmer and we can move them to our new house. So being the dutiful, careful (and already attached to the fishes) mommy that I am, I have been going over twice a day to feed the fish and to turn the light on and off in their tank. But, alas, this morning, we had mass casualties. ALL THREE fish died last night. What the...? I was totally traumatized. I call Tony and he tells me to flush them. What the...? I was already attached to the darn things! The kids will take it well. We warned them Christmas morning that fish don't live every long and we'll get new ones if the old ones die.

Too bad I didn't get that memo.

7 comments:

The Brough Family said...

Oh Amber... you are such a sweet mom! Fish are highly traumatizing at our house too. I'm glad you've almost survived the move. That is absolutely WRONG that you had to move Christmas week. I'm glad you were able to enjoy Christmas and hopefully the new year will bring a little peace and quiet (and living fish) you way!!

Cara said...

Haha! That post hit very close to home! I don't really get attached to the fish, but I do feel extremely guilty if a fish dies in our home. Like I'm a killer or something. We have one right now that has lived (amazingly) for 6 months. But, truthfully, I'm getting tired of cleaning his stinky fish tank. I think I'd be secretly grateful if we found him floating one morning. Yikes! See! I am a killer!

MooreInterest said...

I am secretly (and softly) laughing. When L was 3 we had a goldfish that died. Without even thinking...I flushed it!!! And for the next 2 years Lauren said that "The fish was in Heaven....and you get there by flushing the toilet!!" We found that Beta fish about.....FOREVER! (8years!). But the also live alone. It's a toss up! Better luck with the next trio!

Tiggeriffic said...

This is so cute and funny all at the same time. Good thing Goldfish are cheap.. It is sad when they die...wonder why goldfish die so easily.
Have a great New Year's and a tiggeriffic 2011...
ta ta for now from Iowa

Kathleen said...

the goldfish that we had when we were younger lasted all of three days as well--so, don't feel too badly! i've heard beta's live longer and can survive just about anything so maybe try that next??

oh, and you're not alone on receiving ONLY the envelope. you're right in there with my in-laws and two sisters-in-laws! i'm sooo sorry! (the picture of the kids was darling, my letter was no overly witty so you didn't miss much on that end :-) ). i'll be getting better envelopes next year!!!

The Bennett Bunch said...

Did you add the stuff to the water for goldfish? The chlorine in the water is what can kill them so easily and there is stuff you can buy at any pet store to add to their water that will help. Sorry they didn't make it.

Clay Laura CJ Preston and Aparri said...

I can feel your pain...from one fish killer to another...I think I have 6 dead fish to my name!!! We gave goldfish to some friends for their son's birthday...and yep, by the end of the birthday, they were dead fish...it was awful at the time, but has become a running joke in our circle of friends...good luck with the fish!!