Friday, July 1, 2011

Just For the Halibut...

We are officially homeless and jobless for the next month. Only in our crazy life would that be a good thing! And we're in Alaska visiting my mom. For two weeks. It has been glorious to have all the time in the world and nothing to worry about.

The first item of business for the boys was a hardcore fishing trip. So yesterday Sam and Tony drove to Ninilchik for a halibut fishing charter. On the way, they saw a bear and a couple moose. It was a beautiful day and nobody got seasick until Sam puked right as they hit the dock at the end of the trip. Besides Sam taking a nose dive into the ocean, I was the most worried about him getting seasick because it.is.miserable. Especially when everyone else is busy catching fish while you're puking your guts out. Miserable.

This is Mt. Redoubt across Cook Inlet from the Kenai Peninsula. It actually erupted when I was in high school and we had to wear masks whenever we went outside and the ash gathered on everything like gray snow.

This is Sam on the boat. Tony said he did great and was the boat favorite! His biggest fish was about 30 lbs. and outweighed anything Tony caught. But lucky for Tony, Sam hasn't rubbed it in too much. Aside from the halibut, they also caught a ton of Pacific cod. In fact, Sam caught the first cod on the boat as well as the first keeper halibut. That's my boy!

Tony and Sam in front of all the halibut caught on the charter. The largest was about 60 pounds. Not as big as a barn door like some of them get, but at this size, they are the best for eating. So we're having fresh halibut for dinner tonight.

Aren't they cute? Blah. I wonder about the first guy brave enough to eat one of these suckers. They may be ugly, but they sure taste good!

More of our adventures soon...

5 comments:

Cherie said...

Hey...You are here!! Give us a call if you have time. Kalani would love to go fishing with Tony and the boys. And I would love to see you even if it is just for a short visit. 726-5827.

MooreInterest said...

Oh, my boys are DROOLING at all those gorgeous fish!!! Seriously. He'll have to teach us a thing or two? Can't wait to see you! Trying to finagle our trip.

The FOUR M's... said...

Okay, I've got me a serious fish craving now -- yum yum! I actually had to eat fish heads on my mission in Fiji -- I don't think the heads were anywhere near that size though! :) I'm glad you guys are having fun!

Loralee and the gang... said...

Homeless and jobless? What did I miss?!

Kyndra said...

Fun! My parents own land in Ninilchik that for 31 years they have been meaning to build on... but I don't think it will ever happen.