Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New Home, Part 2 & Caramel Apple Yumminess

I finally took some photos of the kids' bathroom this afternoon. We have had the cutest "ducky" bathroom since Sam was born and with the kids getting older, we decided they had outgrown duckies. I was puttering around Target one day while we were still living in TLF on base waiting to move into our house and I found this awesome canvas of the United States made from license plates. After all the travel we had done this summer, the kids LOVED it when I brought it home. Then, it was Tony's idea to dig out all of our saved license plates from our 13 years of Air Force moves and use them to decorate the rest of the walls. With a little help from Joan and Megan (we somehow lost our Utah plate from the Civic and we never actually had a car registered in Alaska), we have plates from every state we have lived, and two each of Washington and Nebraska because we lived there twice. I think it is a cool reminder of the adventures our family has had! The "detour" sign pointing to the potty is my personal contribution...

Last night, we had a family from our ward over for FHE and we used them as guinea pigs for a new recipe I found. Apples? Caramel? Cake? Pure yumminess.


Moist Caramel Apple Cake

1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1 pkg. french vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup water
4 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 medium granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 bag of caramels
3 Tbsp. milk

Grease and flour bundt pan. Beat cake mix, pudding mix, water, eggs and oil in a large bowl until blended (I used my KitchenAid). Gently stir in apples by hand. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely. Microwave caramels and milk for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until blended. Cool until starting to set and drizzle over cake.

5 comments:

condiefamily said...

You have inspired me. I love this idea. Just registered the van in Wyoming, adding to our collection. Brilliant!

Walker said...

love the idea of the licenses plates - that is a first for me! And of course, yummy cake. Can you send some my way?????

Jeni said...

VERY COOL!

Steve hit 20 years yesterday...time flies! He is only 37 years young though.

Hey we watched your new hometown high school football team on ESPN 2 the other day...they are #14 in the country. We went last friday night to a high school game here but can't wait for this Sat. Are you going to an Alabama or Auburn this fall?

And OMGosh...I had so much fun the other day going to Michaels and a super nice Joanne's...it had been almost a year and a half...felt like being in heaven! I got some of those cool test tubes by Martha...I am still giddy.

The Brough Family said...

very cute bathroom!! I want to try that cake, looks delish!!!

zakkalife said...

The caramel apple cake looks soooo good. Bookmarking this recipe for future use.