Friday, September 7, 2007

Top Five Summer Reads


I LOVE to read. I LOVE to read really good books. One of my favorite things is to be reading a really good book and to have 3 or 4 new books on my nightstand ready to be enjoyed. Unfortunately, with the move this summer and with limited access to a library, I didn't get a lot read. But here are my top five picks from the summer months:

#5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
A girls just gotta know how things turn out.

#4 Finding Peace, Happiness and Joy by Elder Richard G. Scott
I loved this book, despite the fact that Elder Scott scares me when I watch him during General Conference...I swear the man can see right through to my soul.

#3 Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
I read this for my Great Falls book group (I sure miss you guys!) and was pleasantly surprised. Quite an ending.

#2 Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Another Great Falls book choice for the upcoming year. And I'm not QUITE done (have you seen how LONG the thing is??) but I am thoroughly enjoying it.

And the #1 Amber's Choice read of the summer is:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
It sure had a lot to live up to after The Kite Runner, but I absolutely LOVED this book. In fact, it's not in the picture because I've been pawning it off to whoever I can find because I loved it so much.

And on a side (but related) note, my friend Angela Wirick (and Jack and her Sam) came to visit us in Great Falls right before the big move and she was telling me that she had been into making journals. I was so inspired that I finally did a reading journal the other night to keep track of books that I have heard are good, new books on the Bestsellers list and the Pulitzer Prize list.
I make sure to note who recommended the book and leave a few lines to give my impressions when I get it read. I'm hoping this will save me time and energy at the library or when I'm browsing the book aisles at Target. It turned out so cute I had to share.

4 comments:

Rosanne said...

You are too cute - and so are your creations! Thanks for sharing. I see that you saw my great summer read - At the Scent of Water by Linda Nichols - check it out, I think you would enjoy it. :) Then tell me your thoughts on it after you've read it. Miss ya!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that little journal you made. Where do you get your energy from? Thanks for sharing all these fun ideas. I bought the stuff to make those magnets like you made for your fridge. I can't wait to make mine but now I want to try a journal too! Fun fun fun

Love,
Jeni

Anonymous said...

Ambs--

We JUST bought WATER FOR ELEPHANTS as a gift for someone, so I was super glad to see that it's actually good!

ALSO, I really like your journal. Nice hustle!

LOVES!!!

Leenz said...

Keep up the good recommendations. I like to read books that have the Amber seal of approval!