Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Caramel Apple Trifle

This was my contribution to munch & mingle tonight and I wanted to share. I found the original recipe on allrecipes.com, but changed it up just a touch to suit my neurosis. If you like apple pie than this is the trifle for you!

Caramel Apple Trifle

1 yellow cake mix (and the ingredients to make it)
3 cups cold milk
1 & 1/2 pkgs. vanilla instant pudding mix
1/2 tsp. apple pie spice
1 jar caramel ice cream topping
3/4 cup toasted pecans
1 can apple pie filling
1 (16 oz.) container cool whip

1. Prepare cake according to directions in a 9 x 13 inch pan. Allow to cool completely and then cut into 1 inch cubes. In a large bowl, whisk milk, pudding (save the extra half package for another time) and apple pie spice for 2 minutes. Allow to stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.

2. Put a layer of cooled cake squares in the bottom of a 4 qt. trifle bowl. Pour about 3 ounces of caramel topping over cake layer. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the nuts, and then half of the pudding mixture. Spoon half the can of pie filling on top of pudding. Spread half carton of cool whip on top. Repeat all layers, ending with layer of cool whip. Drizzle with caramel topping and top with remaining nuts.

8 comments:

Ashlee said...

I want to eat it RIGHT NOW. It looks so good!

Kyndra said...

For yum! I need an excuse to make this now....

The Brough Family said...

sounds delish! Hope it went well last night!

Jeni said...

What a name this dish has! Wish I was at your munch and mingle.

Anonymous said...

That looks heavenly. I'm going to have to try it.

Rosanne said...

Yum - this sounds good, I'll have to try it. :)

just jamie said...

Holy delicious...

Sonja said...

Drooling....