Saturday, August 2, 2008

Around the Fire Pit

One of the truly unique things about my experience growing up in Alaska is that we were surrounded by family. Usually, people who move to Alaska come for work or through a military assignment and they are here alone with only their immediate family. But my father was born and raised in Anchorage. His parents came to Alaska in early 1949 with a friend who invited them along for a visit. And they stayed. They raised their family here. And after my dad finished dental school and was given the opportunity to go home, he jumped at the chance. And so I spent my youth with the luxury of grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins that lived close by.

Tonight we had my grandparents over for a picnic dinner over the backyard fire pit. My grandparents are amazing people, truly of the greatest generation of hard workers that don't know how to complain and are thankful for their blessings. They tell the best stories about my dad from his youth and about their experiences in the wilds of early-settlement Anchorage. My grandpa worked as a carpenter and helped build the courthouse in downtown Anchorage. They helped celebrate Alaska's statehood in 1958. And I love that I get to share them now with my children.

So tonight we made hot dogs, s'mores, and laughed until our sides hurt. One of the best parts of being home is being surrounded by the people I love the most.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like such a fun time! And tell me, oh dear friend, you had a couple of s'mores for me, right? :)

Albanie said...

I'm so glad you guys are having a fun time! Thanks so much for the diaper pouch! And I can't believe how great a fisher Anna is!
PS That bear pic is crazy!

Camie said...

aw, you are so right! That is what it is all about.

Lacey said...

Okay, you are making me want to go home now. Way to go! :0)

Montserrat said...

It's so wonderful your children can make these memories with their great-grandparents. The s'mores look so yummy! And I love the solution Sam came up with to protect his eyes from the smoke.

Holly Ogden said...

Keep on enjoying that family time! It does not happen often enough. Your grandparents are so cute and are probably loving spending time with you and your kids. Enjoy!

Jeni said...

That is so neat that your family has been way up there for that long. I bet they have the best stories...neat American history. Your Grandmother is beautiful.

just jamie said...

Oh Amber. They look like such lovely grandparents. Ya' think they'd adopt me?

Jenn said...

Grandparents are the best! Growing up with family close is such a blessing. If only I could give that to my children! The weather there looks awesome - ahhh...I would like to feel like I need a jacket right now!