Monday, February 16, 2009

Guest Room Makeover & Fun Idea #4

It all started very innocently when Tony asked my mom (who is visiting for a week) to help make some window treatments for our catch-all downstairs guest room. And it ended not quite as innocently when we walked into Target to get some last minute Valentine's party things and right into a HUGE 75% off sale. So we picked up 2 queen quilts, a twin quilt, two bone surrounded mirrors, a new set of sheets and a twin set of green sheets. And spent all of $98. Seriously. My mom and I used the twin sheet set in green to make a dust ruffle, another pillowcase, and the valance for the window. We also cut up the twin quilt and made pillow shams and a throw pillow. It was so much fun and with two sets of hands, so easy and quick. So, what do you think??

Before:












After:

And just a fun idea: The little beige book on the nightstand? It is our guest book that we purchased after the room and bathroom were finished in November 2007 and ready to receive guests. We include a picture from each visit and the guest writes a little note. It is fun to look back on the fun visits from friends and loved ones.

14 comments:

Jessica Jane said...

I love it! It looks fabulous. Who wouldn't love staying there? And I love the guestbook idea. That's one of my favorite things at a bed and breakfast.

Nicole said...

It turned out soooo darling! I love the new room!! The only problem is that you did all your shopping at Target, instead of Walmart. {hehehe, wink,wink} =)

April said...

That turned out AWESOME! Now we need to come and visit!

Lorilee said...

It looks awesome Amber!! I love the calmness of it. Great job to you and your mom!!

Sonja said...

You guys are AMAZING! It looks so nice and inviting. Your guests will feel so welcome! I think it is incredible that you spent less than $100.

The guest book is such a great idea. Thanks so much for sharing!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love Target and I love that you change things up. Just because it says one thing, doesn't mean you can't make it something else.

Oh - the guest book idea is awesome!

The Bennett Bunch said...

That turned out beautiful!!!! What a great make over for an incredible price. I love Target!!!

Ice Cream said...

Yowsa, yowsa! The room looks fabulous and the guest book idea is sheer genius!

Heather said...

Gorgeous! I'm so impressed!

Montay said...

I want that ! I have a guest room and I would love to have a guest book and fun bed set wanna come over??

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!! Love it, love it, love it. Looks great, Amber! Can I come stay over? Never was $98.00 put to better use!

Cammy Aller said...

Awesome!! I love it and I might use the idea of the guest book. We have many visitors so that would be fun to start! You are very talented with all your ideas and crafts!

Our Complete Family said...

Wow~ a huge change and I love the results!
My Mom always had a guest book in their guest room, too, and it's still fun to go back and read the entries! Sadly, we don't have a guest room...but in our forever home when he retires we will for sure!
You Go Miss Crafty!

Eloise said...

Oh my goodness, Amber - what a fantastic transformation! Your *new* guest room looks so inviting and pretty. I love your guest book idea too. Wish I'd started one a long time ago but maybe it's never too late?