Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Wal-Mart Pool: A True Story

You know, my life is one great adventure after another. Some are hilarious to me. Some are just hilarious to other people. Case in point.

We're moved in and the mover guys came to pick up the boxes this morning. And the kids are going bonkers. They're used to playing outside and the close quarters inside and the HOT Alabama heat has turned them into crazy kids. So yesterday we went to Wal-Mart and bought a plastic pool so I could squirt the kids down with sunblock and send them outside for a while. We got a pool picked out (the deluxe $30 version, which we'll get to in a minute) and wedged the pool into the bed of the Tony's truck. I even bought a case of water to put on top of the pool so it wouldn't fly out. We only live about 2 miles from Wal-Mart so I very slowly headed for home. Just as we pulled out of the parking lot, torrential Alabama downpour, complete with thunder and lightening and winds. I slowed way down and double gripped the steering wheel all the way home. Just as we pulled into the driveway, a huge thunder boomed right above our house. The big kids just ran through the rain to the garage but Josh freaked out. So I grabbed him and we made a rush for the garage. Of course, he is sobbing and as my wet flip-flops hit the cement in the garage, I slipped and as I fell I turned so Josh landed on me and I landed flat on my elbow. I was shaken up a bit and now all THREE kids are crying because they figured I'd killed myself for sure this time.

Fast forward about 3 hours when the rain had stopped and I went to go get the pool out of the back of the truck. Opened the tailgate and grabbed the edge of the pool and pulled...and about 20 gallons of water come sloshing down my front. BEYOND frustrated, I shoved the damn pool into the garage.

This morning, Sam and I got the pool to set up in the backyard for after lunch. The thing came with instructions. That got soaked in the rain yesterday. So we spent 30 minutes pulling the instructions apart carefully and then another 30 minutes putting the damn pool together.

Exhibit One: The Bruise.


Doesn't look very bad in the picture, but my entire elbow is ugly green and brown and hurts like heck.

Exhibit Two: The Damn Pool.



The End.

5 comments:

The Ballard's said...

So funny. I am sorry that the picture of the bruise doesn't do it justice. Nothing is worse than a painful bruise that you can't prove. I will make you feel a bit better: Sometimes I tell myself I can go to the bathroom after I finish a job. If is sit down, even if it is just to pee, I might not have enough energy to get up again:) So I was moving a closet full of clothes waiting for my bathroom break and the closet bar collapsed from all the weight and fell on me. It hit me hard, it ruined the newly painted wall, pulled the brackets out of the wall & I fell over and peed my pants. Does that help? Damn pool!

Anonymous said...

Couldn't help it....I might have laughed out loud just a little. You do have a knack for funny
situations that just seem to get
better and better. Love & miss you.

the mom

MooreInterest said...

Poor Girl! Poor traumatized kids! Lucky, however....that the pool didn't get a hole in it!!!! Happy swimming!!!

JoAnn said...

sounds a bit like my day, I went to the base to do some shopping at the commisary Since my kids were being the same way Will said he would take then for an hour on his lunch so I could go faster. Well, long story short it was BAD at the commissary, and there were computer problems and long lines and well I was LATE and then Will was late for his meeting at 1:30, then I got lost coming home, and my kids were tired I made it home and I was starting to bring my food in, I had lots of frozen things I wanted to get in the freezer before they melted and the down poor happened! I was back and forth with babies, or screaming kids, (because they think that every time there is a storm we are going to get blown away by a tornado) and then back for my food, I too slipped in my wet flip flops and beefed it! I am sorry you had a bad day, but at least you know you are not alone :)

Walker said...

Sorry, I couldn't help but giggle a little.