Monday, October 11, 2010

Apples, Apples Everywhere

Remember my fabulous plan for working myself to death so I wouldn't think about "it?" Well, it is working great except it is SERIOUSLY cutting into my blogging time. I have so many pictures to upload and so much to share, but it will trickle in as I find a moment here or there.

We hit our two favorite apple trees on base this week (why are we the only ones who see them for their true and yummy potential??...not that we're complaining or anything) and the kids help me fill four big buckets with apples. We've done some really fun things with them this year. We dried a bunch (Tony's favorite), we made a bunch of apple butter (so yummy) and then last week, I did about 10 quarts of applesauce using this recipe, which is my favorite way.

But this year, I have a cool new toy. Making applesauce is pretty tedious and last year I only made abut 6 quarts using a Foley mill, and those didn't last very long. So this year, I invested in a food grinder attachment for my KitchenAid. Worth.Every.Penny. I ended up with 10 quarts in about 3 hours last Thursday. And the best part?? My dad bought my KitchenAid for me after he found out that I really wanted one, but had never bought one. He even helped me pick out the color. So every time I use it, I think of him.

I think maybe that is the best part of the gift.

Apple Butter

4 pounds cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced (about 12 cups)
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup water
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg

Place apple slices into a 4 quart crock pot. Stir in sugar, water, vinegar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice ands nutmeg. Cover and cook on high setting for 5-6 hours. Stir and cool. Ladle apple butter into small canning jars, seal and label. Store in fridge for 3 weeks or freeze for up to a year.

Have a good week!

6 comments:

Cara said...

We've been going crazy with apples lately too. :) We made applesause (a la crockpot) yesterday, and have done apples pies as well. I love the fall. :)

MooreInterest said...

Mmmmmmmm!Can you come here and use my Kitchen-aid?

Army Wife Quilter said...

that is really awesome. I really really miss living on your street to get all the cool fruit off the trees. Did my neighbors plum tree produce lots of plums. you should go ask her for some. I am down to my last box of plum jam. yikes.

Jeni said...

WOW! All your work looks beautiful! I bet your kids love eating it. I would love to try the apple butter...mmm. You know what I also want to try. My mom uses real pumpkins to make her pies...I have never done it.

Happy Fall!!!

Kathleen said...

that looks sooo delicious! that attachment looks awesome too. i've got to get on the ball and make some "apple-stuff" soon!

Walker said...

We just picked apples from the Flynns this weekend. I am going to be trying your apple butter recipe, for sure!