Thursday, June 5, 2008

Greek Village Salad

Thanks to Randi for hosting her Recipe Box Swap. There is no theme this month, so I chose one of our favorite summer fares. I actually found this recipe in the food section of our paper. The best part about this recipe? Eating the leftovers in the whole wheat pita the next day. YUMMY!

Greek Village Salad

2 small green bell peppers, cored and sliced into strips
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced into thick rounds and quartered
1 small red onion, cut into thin slivers
3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2" wedges
18-24 Kalamata olives, halved
1 Tbsp. capers, drained
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. dried oregano


Place the peppers, cucumber, onion, tomatoes, olives, capers and cheese into a large bowl. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, then with olive oil and vinegar. Crumble oregano over the salad and then toss lightly.

**Updated** We were in the midst of a killer tornado warning all last night and luckily, our immediate area was spared from any major damage. We did have crazy rain, hail and more scary wind than I have ever seen before. The kids slept through the whole thing, if you can believe it. Our friends the Buxtons took some great pictures during the storm you can see here. Have a good one!

17 comments:

Lauri said...

Oh this looks soo yummy! I just started making my own pitas. They are so easy, for whole wheat I use 1c of WW flour instead of white, heres a link for that.
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/recipes/pitabread

Sandra Lundy said...

This looks delicious! I love feta cheese :)

Darcy said...

I can't wait to try this! I think I have most of the ingredients already.

Rosanne said...

My mouth watered looking at this salad. Definitely going to make it. Thanks for sharing.

Crazy pics of the storm...I remember those NE storms! Kinda fun. :)

marigold said...

Sounds like an awesome, refreshing salad! Yum!

So glad you all made it through the storm intact!

Scribbit said...

Hope the tornado gave you plenty of room and left you alone!

ANd I had one of these years ago and always wanted the recipe, thanks! I still have your pizza salad recipe that's so popular.

Shannon said...

Glad you were safe in the storm! Looks like a great summer recipe. We eat salads all the time and this one is definitely on the list now! Thanks~

Sharon said...

This is mouth watering. Ooooohhh, would be a shame NOT to try this one. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

MMM...I love all greek salads. Perfect to get this recipe with all the fresh veggies this time of year.

Thanks,
Jeni

Kathleen said...

looks delicious! i just love summer salads! looks like we're in for another stormy night tonight too....stay safe!

Ice Cream said...

That looks like the perfect salad for cooling off during the warm summer. Can't wait to try it!

Oh, and I just couldn't possibly pick a favorite Hitchcock. There are so many really good ones, and I've found that my tastes change through the years.

Leora said...

I love greek salads. This one sounds scrumptious.

zakkalife said...

I love Greek salads! This will have to go on the menu with summer approaching.

Walker said...

That looks so good! Another recipe that I must try! YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are all OK! Leave it to kids to sleep through something like that! ;)

Your recipe looks so good! Thanks for sharing it!

Kyndra said...

Looks so yummy! I'm definitely going to make it soon!

Sonja said...

The salad looks divine! Thanks for sharing!

Also, I'm so glad you are ok and that the storm passed without any killer tornadoes! I checked out your friends pictures....yikes!