Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Uncle Sam Windsock

I've had this project tucked away from the July 14, 1998 issue of Woman's Day magazine, if you can believe it. It's so old in fact that they don't even have it archived on their website so I'll do my best to give good instructions. I'm usually not one for craft foam, but this project was too cute not to try today...I've been saving an empty oatmeal box exactly for this project. Sam was kind enough to help while Anna was at a playdate.

1. Trace the end of the empty 42 ounce oatmeal box on a blue sheet of craft foam and trace another circle about 2 inches larger than the first circle to make the hat brim.

2. Hot glue three inches of white fabric (I used white muslin) to the inside bottom of the oatmeal box cutting away excess. Rip along bottom of faric at desired length (mine are about 36" long). Then rip up from the bottom every inch creating the strips of Uncle Sam's beard.

3. Glue 16 3/4" x 6 1/2 " strip of blue foam and glue around box, flush at the top. Trim ends so they match in the back. Slip the brim up from the bottom of the box and glue. (I used a strip of white foam along the bottom even though the directions didn't call for it so that the brim is sandwiched between the upper blue strip and the lower white strip.)

4. Cut a 3" x 4" flesh colored rectangle for face. Paint black dot eyes and pink cheeks. When paint is dry, add white dot highlights to the eyes. Cut out a white foam mustache and glue both face and mustache to front of windstock below the hat brim.

5. Cut 1" x 2" strips of white and red foam and glue them around the top of the brim. Cut 5 large stars out of yellow foam and glue along top of hat.

6. Use an awl to punch 3 evenly spaced holes along the top of the box and thread through string to create a hanger for your windsock.

Fly with Pride!

11 comments:

jennwa said...

That is great. I might have to try that.

Kristi said...

Very cute!!

Cherie said...

I think I remember seeing one like that in your house when we were in Spokane?? Or maybe you had shown me the magazine. Anyway, it turned out great! So cute for the summer holidays.
And way to go Josh!! It is so much fun when they begin to walk. I can't keep Kaikane out of the trash can's now. He is constantly on the go with his new found freedom. :)

Jenn said...

So cute. If I attemped making this, mine would in no way look as great as yours!

Anonymous said...

Amazing as usual! I'm only looking for 1 item to giveaway from 5 bloggers. I'll pick a new winner every day. Thanks for participating - it should be fun!

April said...

That turned out really cute! Nice work there tiger!

It was so fun to talk to you today, thanks for calling! Give Sam a love for me!

Ice Cream said...

Ok, that's it! The kids are eating oatmeal for the rest of the week whether they want to or not. I love the way this turned out.

Albanie said...

Such a cute idea! It looks great!

Montay said...

That is too cute love the idea.

zakkalife said...

Your instructions were great. It's hard to believe it was made from an oatmeal container. I always enjoy a resourceful craft like that.

Sonja said...

So patrioticly darling! I'm off to find bags to dump my oatmeal in.