Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Butternut Squash Bisque

I'm not too much of a soup person, but I LOVE butternut squash so when I found this recipe in my Better Homes & Gardens magazine, I had to give it a try. And it was delicious...the chipotle peppers add so much to this fall weather yumminess.

Butternut Squash Bisque

1 3-lb. butternut squash
1/4 cup butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large Braeburn or Gala apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 48-oz. box reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup apple cider or apple juice
2 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
3 oz. smoked Gouda or smoked cheddar cheese, finely shredded
Crumbled cooked bacon, celery leaves, and/or shaved Gouda cheese (optional)

Peel, seed, and cube butternut squash. In large pot melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fresh squash, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add apples, broth, cider, and peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables and apples are tender. Remove from heat; cool slightly. When slightly cooled, puree in pot using an immersion blender. (Or puree in batches in a blender; return soup to saucepan.) Blend in sour cream. Heat through. Remove from heat; stir in shredded Gouda until melted. Top with bacon, celery leaves, and/or Gouda cheese. Makes 8 servings.

3 comments:

MooreInterest said...

"I" AM a soup girl!!! I love good soup! It makes me all warm inside!!!! I can't wait to try this one! Think of you often.

Tiggeriffic said...

I have that magazine.. it really has great recipes every month. Squash soup makes me question whether I would like it or not. I like squash but not sure about soup.. Wished you lived closer and I could just steal a taste from your bowl..
ta ta for now from Iowa...

Jeni said...

How festive! Gouda...that's my favorite cheese.