Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gratitude Visiting Teaching Gift

Man, oh man, am I behind on this one! I had them done before I went to Alaska, but didn't post it until now. But I'm a little excited about the way they turned out. Remember this post?? I wanted to do something like it for visiting teaching gifts for November, but wanted to keep the cost down but still make them, well, cute. So I used my leftover pumpkins, trimmed a little of the bottom so they would lay flat, bought $1 unpainted wooden frames from Michaels, painted, sanded and antiqued them, added a square of patterned paper in fall colors and attached the pumpkin with hot glue. I thought they turned out pretty cute.

I even went all pyro and burned the bottom of the tags before I mounted them on the orange cardstock. Had a little too much fun, actually. My grandparents always used to tell my dad that if he played with the fire when they went camping that he would wet the bed, so I was a little worried. Turns out, it must just be an urban legend type thing...:-).

This is the quote I used:

"How can we cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude? President Joseph F. Smith, sixth President of the Church, provided an answer. Said he: “The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life."

--Quoted by President Monson, 2010 October Conference


This is how it looks on my Thanksgiving sideboard.


Here, here and here are a couple other things I have done for visiting teaching gifts for November.

Happy Tuesday!

4 comments:

becky said...

too cute, Amber. I wish you were MY visiting teacher!

Anonymous said...

I love the container of tiny
pumpkins. :)

the mom

Cherie said...

You always have the best ideas! Thank you for helping me out each month.

Rosanne said...

Oh perfect - I needed a great quote for something I'm giving to my sisters this month - thanks for the idea! You are so great at VT gifts. I miss you as my VT! :)