Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Pretty Dang Good Day

After so many meh days, today has been awesome. The great tide of good karma has finally shifted my way! All three kids woke up happy and were good about getting ready for the bus. Josh was super excited to wear his new snow boots. After the kids left, I ran to the Commissary and BX to pick up some essentials because it is snowing AGAIN and it sounds like we'll be buried in the morning. Then off to the school to volunteer in Anna's classroom. Got the first two Christmas cards of the season in the mail.

Then to the base library where I found THREE newish books that are on my GoodReads list that I couldn't bring myself to buy in hardcover. Seriously? Good karma.

Then home to put the finishing touches on our 72 hour kit. Maybe it is all the snow, but we decided to rotate through our family's 72 hour kit for FHE last week and have it all ready in the garage in case we have to grab and run. A couple of years ago, I bought a bunch of backpacks at Target on clearance for about $3 each and made them into personal kits for each member of our family with a change of clothes, rain poncho, and a washcloth and towel in them. But I also wanted to include a 72 hour individual food kit in each backpack. We did something like this when Liz and I were doing enrichment in Nebraska and it was a huge hit. So I got my resources out and ordered some plastic containers (which are about a quart in size, so perfect for mixing drink packets in) and set to work. We created a food list based on this list of suggestions.



72 Hour Food Kit List

3 assorted granola bars
1 juice box
1 package crackers or cookies
1 pkg. fruit snacks
1 fruit leather
3 envelopes hot chocolate
2 envelopes instant oatmeal
1 envelope instant soup mix
1 individual sized drink mix
2 sm. packs of chewing gum
10 assorted hard candies
2 sticks beef jerky
1 bag of nuts


It a pretty tight squeeze, but if you like Tetris, this will be a cinch. I ordered a batch of 6 containers and made up an extra kit that Tony can carry in his backpack.

If you are interested in doing something similar for your family, here is the information on the containers I used.

Industrial Container

Container product # B092A
Lid number #L252

And it's only lunchtime. Gotta love karma.

11 comments:

Leenz said...

Love it! You and Donny must be on the same wavelength because all he wants for Christmas is food storage. I think it must be the snow...

April said...

Glad you had a good day, you deserve it! And just a warning, House Rules=LAME! I didn't even finish it, I just skipped to the last couple of pages.

MooreInterest said...

This is so GREAT!!! You have good Karma because you are such a GOOD friend!!! I love all that you accomplished today!! You go GIRL!!

Jeni said...

Yea Amber! You did need a good day.

Last week after N. Korea shot shell this direction I paniced knowing I am not all ready. We only live 45 miles from the N. Korean boarder. There is of course exit plans for families but you never know what can happen. When we were at Thanksgiving dinner at the Squadron one of my friends was also nervous...she has a daughter allergic to most foods and if we were evacuated she needs to have food for her to fly on the plane. So we both agreed to get ready for whatever. I am going to follow your lead...THANKS

The FOUR M's... said...

GREAT ideas! Thank you -- I totally need to revamp my 72 hr kits... They're waaaaay overdue! :o)

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! A really good day. You
needed one, and it is well-timed.
Keep it up, and be brave, little Piglet. :) Good job on the
emergency kits.

the mom

Kathleen said...

i love those smooth days! we still have our kit from enrichment; although i think emily ate the fruit leather! i'll have to make some more--thanks for the links for the containers! 'hope the rest of your day is as good!

Jessica Jane said...

I think you should sell the filled containers on etsy. I would buy 5, maybe more. ( =

Tiggeriffic said...

I think these would be wonderful to store in the basement with a gallon of water..incase the house got hit with a tornado..
OR if you didn't have any electricity ~ or store in your car in case you got stranded somewhere and couldn't get home..
These are super great~!
ta ta for now...from Iowa

Loralee and the gang... said...

Thanks for posting this! I expecially love your list for the food supplies. I will modify it to my family's tastes and get going to put it together!

Our Complete Family said...

So glad you had a good day Amber! I enjoyed your turkey day post and am glad that your sweet family was together this year.... a wonderful blessing indeed!
Oooh, you will LOVE House Rules. It has been one of my favs by JP. Stay warm up there sweetie!