Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sister's Day

We have a long drought of kids' birthdays between the beginning of April and the end of October. And when you're a kid, that must be almost unbearable. So after celebrating Mother's Day, Father's Day and then Tony's birthday, Anna tearfully asked, "Mama, when is it going to be Sister's Day?" So the McIllece family has declared the second Sunday of July "Sister's Day" and the second Sunday in August "Brother's Day." The kids get to pick breakfast (because our church is so late, we don't have a lot of time for dinner), get a little gift from the $1 bin, and get to make all relevant decisions for the day.


It was Sister's Day today. Our Anna just glowed. Isn't it fabulous that a made-up holiday and a Sleeping Beauty Pez dispenser can make a day so magical??

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

My birthday is two days before christmas and my husband's is two days after. That was unbearable as a kid because you got the combo bday/xmas presents! No presents to unwrap halfway through!

jennwa said...

I just love the idea of a Brother and a Sister Day. That is a very sweet idea.

Kathleen said...

what a fantastic idea! we'll have to remember that one for next year!

April said...

Happy Sisters Day Anna Banana! We're all about things to celebrate!

Cammy Aller said...

Very smart girl! Hey I think that is great what fun! I think if it were me I would just want to sleep in all day and have food brought to me in be. I will call it "Cammys day"!

just jamie said...

Absolutely brilliant. Sweet, sweet, sweet.

(And a darling picture to boot.)

Walker said...

That is such a wonderful idea! The sister day would not work in our house, maybe later on in life, but definitely the brother day! You are such a smart chica!

The Brough Family said...

Hooray for Sister's day!!

Camie said...

maybe we will just start celebrating those unofficial holidays with you!!

Garrett Gang said...

That is so adorable! What a great idea. Sure miss that doll.

Anonymous said...

Hey ya - I'm making rounds through blogs...this made me chuckle. My kids always ask us "When's Kid's Day?" since they recognize that we have Mother's Day and Father's Day. Our response is always "Are you kidding? Every day is kids' day!"

Nicole said...

What a cute idea.

Sonja said...

I just LOVE that picture. Everything about it says, "I love sister day, mom." What a great idea. :)

Unknown said...

Too cute! Its a good idea to have new "holidays" especially for the kids! Why stick to total tradition when you can make your own!

By the way I came via Tip Junkie!