Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm a Little Acorn, Brown...

This year at my local Hobby Lobby they had the cutest wooden acorns. I ended up buying a few for my Harvest decorations, but it wasn't until Joan's visit that we decided that they might make adorable visiting teaching gifts for the month of November. So we bought a bunch (in fact, we cleaned them out) and I did a quick search and found a quote on gratitude to finish up the ones that Joan needed for her ladies as she finished getting packed up to fly home. I inked the edges, and then zig-zag stitched around the paper onto burlap and frayed up the edges.


Here are the quotes we used:

"We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude."--Cynthia Ozick

"Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become bigger, fatter, shinier acorns. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better: that we can become oak trees.'
--E.F. Schumacher

Happy November!

9 comments:

Cara said...

Love the acorn quote. That's great.

Jenn said...

As always - love your ideas!

Kristi said...

Man- you are GOOD!!! I love the burlap! I have one of those cute little acorns on my shelf.

Kathleen said...

super woman strikes again! wonderful idea and quote!

Montserrat said...

Once again, your creativity amazes me!

And I wish you wre my visiting teacher. :D

Brenden, Lorie and Our Girls said...

What a cute idea!
I have a question for ya. Those stars you made for your Halloween tree, I would like to make some for x-mas and I'm wondering...where did you find the small stars? I've been looking all over town and the internet but I can't seem to find them.
~Let me know~
Thanks!!!!

Jeni said...

I LOVE them. Great quotes and I love how the burlap looks..extreme fall.

Scribbit said...

Okay I want either a hobby lobby OR a new visiting teacher!

Our Complete Family said...

I'll give you 3 guesses where I'll head tomorrow and the 1st 2 don't count!!!
They turned out great! The teachers will love them!
How did you display them in your home?
Come teach me to use my sewing machine. I can't remember when I learned in middle school in England about it and then I just relied on my Mom to make things for me and my houses and now she's gone...